Why use TurboTax
TurboTax is an easy and convenient way to prepare and file your federal and state tax returns. Plus, as a Vanguard investor, you may qualify for discounts off Intuit's standard prices for select TurboTax products.
- Guides you step by step through the process of completing your return and fills out your forms based on answers to simple questions.
- Calculates your return with guaranteed 100% accuracy.*
- Helps maximize your tax savings by checking your return for errors and looking for missed deductions. (Note: You can also get more in-depth analysis and tax planning guidance with TurboTax Premier Edition.)
- Enables you to import tax information—from Forms 1099-B, 1099-DIV, and 1099-R—directly into your returns. (Note: This feature applies to Vanguard mutual fund and brokerage accounts; it doesn't apply to tax-deferred, employer-sponsored retirement plan accounts.)
- TurboTax Online Federal products include free IRS e-File, which allows you to pay federal taxes with a bank transfer or credit card and get a refund faster by depositing it directly into a bank account or your Vanguard mutual fund or brokerage account.**
With TurboTax, your information is secure
Your tax information security is a top priority. Intuit evaluates its software and web-based services to ensure they're as secure as reasonably possible, and it uses industry-standard Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption to protect your tax information during transmission. (For more information on Intuit’s security practices, refer to its web privacy statement.)
If I use TurboTax through the Vanguard website, will Vanguard have access to any of my tax return information?
No. Generally, tax preparers—such as TurboTax—must obtain the signed consent of the taxpayer on paper or electronically before they can disclose tax return information to anyone or use it for any purpose other than preparing and filing a tax return. Internal Revenue Code Section 7216 imposes civil penalties for any tax preparer who discloses any information furnished or uses that information for any purpose other than to assist in preparing the return.
For more information
If you're a participant in a Vanguard employer-sponsored retirement plan, call Vanguard Participant Services at 800-523-1188.
If you're not a participant in a Vanguard employer-sponsored retirement plan, contact us.
To learn more about other tax filing options, go to the IRS website, irs.gov or consult a professional tax advisor.
*If you pay an IRS or state penalty or interest because of a TurboTax calculation error, Intuit—the maker of TurboTax—will pay you the penalty and interest.
**The IRS and most state tax authorities permit online tax return filing, but be sure to confirm this with your local state tax authority. The IRS and state tax authorities send an electronic acknowledgement for each return successfully e-filed; Intuit will provide this confirmation to you once your return is received.