Tax Center

Text size: 


Looking for your 2013 tax forms?

March 04, 2014

Vanguard began providing our clients' 2013 tax forms in mid-January. The table below lists the various forms we provide and explains whether you should expect to receive them.

The forms are posted in our secure online Tax Center as soon as they're available.* If you still receive paper copies by mail, you should receive them shortly after they're posted online. (If you've added tax forms to your Vanguard e-service package, we'll send you an e-mail as soon as the forms are available online. You will not receive paper copies of your forms.)

Log on and . . .

View your tax forms »

View your dividends and capital gains »

To view your forms online, you'll need to have Adobe Reader installed on your computer.

Can't find your forms?

If you haven't received a tax form you were expecting, please review the table below to see whether you met the criteria to receive it. For example, if your distributions and dividends for a particular investment amounted to less than $10 in 2013, you won't receive Form 1099-DIV for that investment.

If you still think you should have received a particular form, call us at 877-662-7447 on business days from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m., or on Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m., Eastern time. Although our associates are able to provide information about Vanguard funds and services, they can't provide tax advice. If your situation is complex or if you're uncertain about a specific tax rule, we recommend you speak with a qualified tax professional.

* This excludes Vanguard Annuity and Insurance Services accounts, which are sent by mail only.

Tax form schedule

Form* When available You'd receive this form if you ...
1099-B Now available » Sold or exchanged shares of a fund (other than a money market fund) in a nonretirement account, or had certain transactions in a nonretirement brokerage account, such as the sale of security shares or the maturation of individual bonds.
1099-DIV Now available » Received dividends (ordinary and qualified) or capital gains distributions from taxable accounts, foreign tax paid in nonretirement accounts, and interest dividends (including specified private-activity bond interest) from tax-exempt bond funds and money market funds.

Note: If your distributions and dividends amounted to less than $10, you won't receive Form 1099-DIV.
Learn more »
1099-R Now available »

Took a distribution or initiated a rollover from an IRA or employer-sponsored plan, recharacterized IRA assets, or converted to a Roth IRA.
1099-INT Now available »
(brokerage accounts only)
Interest dividends (including specified private-activity bond interest) from tax-exempt bond funds will be reported on Form 1099-DIV. For brokerage accounts, Form 1099-INT will still report taxable and tax-exempt interest income from individual bonds and other interest-bearing investments.
1099-MISC Now available »
(brokerage accounts only)
Received substitute payments in lieu of dividends for securities held in a nonretirement margin account.
1099-OID Now available »
(brokerage accounts only)
Owned a bond at any point in the year that was originally purchased at a discount.
(Vanguard 529 Plan)
Now available »
(mutual fund accounts only)
Received a distribution from or completed an asset transfer in the Vanguard 529 College Savings Plan.
Now available » Received a distribution from or completed an asset transfer in an education savings account (ESA).
5498-ESA** Now available » Contributed or transferred assets to an education savings account.
5498** May Made a tax year 2013 IRA contribution between January 1, 2013, and April 15, 2014; completed an IRA rollover, recharacterization, or conversion; or are required to take required minimum distributions.

* Most 1099 forms are provided only for amounts of $10 or greater, or if taxes have been withheld. However, any investment income or distributions you receive—which are reported on your year-end mutual fund or brokerage account statement—must be reported to the IRS.

** This form is generally not necessary for the preparation of your tax return.

Other tax services and information

Service Summary When Available
Cost basis service Use this free online service to help calculate and track your capital gains and losses for taxable Vanguard mutual fund and brokerage accounts. Now available »
TurboTax® Use this popular service's OnlineSM or Desktop Download version to complete your tax return and then file it electronically, or print and mail it yourself. Now available »
Year-end Vanguard fund distributions Lists final year-end distributions for Vanguard mutual funds for 2013. Now available »
U.S. government obligations If you owned shares of Vanguard funds that held direct U.S. government obligations in 2013, you'll need this information to report your state and local tax liability. You'll receive supplemental information with your Form 1099-DIV. Now available »
PrintComment | E‑mail | Share | Subscribe